Do your children have an old pair of shoes that have seen their better days; or perhaps you are just looking for a fun, funky alternative to the shoes you find in the stores? Then this DIY should be helpful! I will show you how to transform an old dirty pair of shoes into something worth showing off!
What you'll need...
- Canvas shoes
- Fabric paint of your choice
- Paintbrush and toothpicks
- Metal studs
1. Wipe off any excess debris and dirt. I like using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and baby wipes to clean the shoes and bring them back to almost looking new.
2. Use tape to mask off the areas of the shoe you do not want painted. Take your time and be careful with this step, so you end up with clean, crisp edges.
3. Paint your shoes. Apply enough layers for even coverage. After paint has dried, go back with a toothpick that has been dipped in paint to get into the small areas you weren't able to reach with your paintbrush.
4. Remove tape and touch up any areas you may have missed. If you are applying more than one color, repeat the above steps for the other sections of the shoe.
5. Determine where you would like to place your studs. Once you have your pattern laid out, push studs into the shoe until they are secure. It may be useful to use a pair of pliers for this step to push the studs completely through. The prongs of the studs should not exceed the thickness of the shoe, so you shouldn't have to worry about any prongs poking through to the inside.
Your shoes are now complete!!
If you try this DIY, be sure to tag your pics on Instagram with #KLaKDIY
The options are pretty much limitless, when it comes to designing your own shoes. Have fun with it and get creative!
* Uh-duh Disclaimer: Obviously, if these are for little children, who have the tendency to stick pretty much anything in their mouths, you may want to refrain from using the studs.